War in the Ukraine. Is it 1939 again?

 In 1939 Britain and France feared that Germany was going to invade Poland, so they guaranteed its independence.  It was a very foolish thing to do. Geography meant that they had no way of helping Poland. Also, the two countries were so financially and militarily weak that they not even save themselves [as Germany demonstrated shortly afterwards when it invaded France].

Most importantly, why should they care who invaded Poland? The country was a long way away and of no importance to either country.

 When Hitler called their bluff and invaded Poland, Britain and France declared war on Germany.

Another stupid decision. Soon afterwards the French army was destroyed and the northern part of the country occupied. Britain was driven from continental Europe with 66,426 casualties. About 64,000 vehicles and 2,472 guns were destroyed or abandoned. The RAF losses were 931 aircraft.

Britain “won” in the end but it was a Pyrrhic victory. The country was bankrupted and had to give up its empire.

The USA had a good war. It picked Britain's pocket for all its gold reserves and overseas assets, took minimal casualties and emerged as a superpower [with Britain as its vassal].

 

Now we have the same nonsense again. NATO has been expanding eastward. Why?

How do Britain and the other original NATO members become more secure by guaranteeing  to fight for Estonia, Poland and other tinpot east European  counties?

The answer is we do not.  NATO gains by appearing relevant but is it just acting as a sale force for the real winners, the US armaments companies. When NATO takes in another country [as long as they agree to buy lots of US weapons] the US armaments companies get to ring up some sales and in Britain we become less secure. The Ukraine was a juicy sales opportunity until Putin [that spawn of Satan] objected.


Undershaft the arms dealer explained the reality to a naive MP in Shaw’s Major Barbara.

STEPHEN: I am sorry, sir, that you force me to forget the respect due to you as my father. I am an Englishman; and I will not hear the government of my country insulted.

UNDERSHAFT: The government of your country! I am the government of your country. I and Lazarus. Do you suppose that you and half a dozen amateurs like you, sitting in a row in that foolish gabble shop, can govern Undershaft and Lazarus?

No, my friend: you will do what pays us. You will make war when it suits us, and keep peace when it doesn't. You will find out that trade requires certain measures when we have decided on those measures.

When I want anything to keep my dividends up, you will discover that my want is a national need. When other people want something to keep my dividends down, you will call out the police and military.

And in return you shall have the support and applause of my newspapers, and the delight of imagining that you are a great statesman.

Government of your country! Be off with you, my boy, and play with your caucuses and leading articles and historic parties and great leaders and burning questions and the rest of your toys. I am going back to my counting house to pay the piper and call the tune.

No comments: