World Heritage Tourist

UNESCO keeps a list of cultural and natural properties which are considered to be of outstanding value to humanity. The list includes the Great Barrier Reef, the Flemish Beguinages, The Great Wall of China, Cologne Cathedral and KL Auschwitz. Some countries, including France, Spain and Italy, have lots of world heritage sites. The UK has 26 sites, including one in Bermuda and islands in the Atlantic and Pacific.

Whenever I go to a country for the first time I check the list of World Heritage sites and try and fit some of them into my itinerary. For example, when I last went to the Czech Republic I visited Cesky Krumlov, Telc, Kutna Hora, the Cathedral of Our Lady at Sedlac and Holasovice Historical Village Reservation. All are on the UNESCO list and all were very well worth visiting. I have been to almost all the sites in France and many of those in Italy and Germany. The list serves as an excellent guide book and has taken me to many places that I might otherwise have missed. This year I hope to visit Hungary and the trip will include some of its eight sites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of travellers seem to use the UNESCO World Heritag List to sort out their itinerary. But don't forget that the World Heritage List was created to save cultural and natural sites of outstanding universal value for the following generations!
Matthias Ripp
http://worldheritage-forum.net