It didn't use to be such an attractive place. During the 16th and 17th centuries, the town was a centre for coal mining. The yellow building below [Culross Palace] was built for Sir George Bruce of Carnock who was an innovator in coal mining techniques. In 1575 his mine into the Upper Hirst coal seam was the first in the world to extend out under water. Then he built a 240 foot vertical shaft up from the undersea mine to a platform out in the Firth from where the coal could be loaded into ships.
Culross exported coal and salt and the red tiles that roof many buildings are thought to have been brought back as ballast from Holland.
Many of the streets are cobbled.
|The recycling bins need to go|
The abbey graveyard holds the grave of a Victoria Cross holder from the Siege of Lucknow [Indian Mutiny].